Skip to main content

One Book

One book you're currently reading

Military Scifi/space opera/Australian mythology mix. Loving it.

One book that changed your life

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Turns out books and wardrobes take you to other worlds. I was 10. And nothing was the same again. 

One book you'd want on a deserted island

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Because when I sink into her lovely, knotty narrative, I never want to be anywhere else.

One book you've read more than once

The Road Home by Ellen Emerson White

White's prose gets me in my gut every time. And Rebecca is so very strong. 

One book you've never been able to finish

The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James

It appears I do not have the James gene. I just...don't. 

One book that made you laugh

Straight Man by Richard Russo

Finny the duck, not the man. Hehehe....

One book that made you cry

How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

I can only read it about once every ten years and I can never read it without weeping, but I'm pretty sure it's the most beautiful book I've ever read. 

One book you keep rereading

Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier

Perfect. From beginning to end. I have several scenes memorized by now and reading it feels like home. 

One book you've been meaning to read

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

I loved Anna Karenina. I will read this one. Someday. 

One book you believe everyone should read

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Because it's as honest and true and good as it gets. 

Finally, grab the nearest book. Open it to page 56. Find the fifth sentence.

"Which was not surprising, given the nature of their errand and the complex, many-generational hatred that twisted between those two men." 

Mm, I like that one. Any guesses as to what it's from? :-)

(As seen on Kiss a Cloud). 

Comments

  1. military sci-fi/space opera/Australian culture? If it is even the least bit good, I'm marching straight to the bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana, I think I can safely recommend a march to the bookstore. It's very good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater, Review + Giveaway!

It seems a long time ago now that I first read Shiver -- the first book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. But looking back I started it on the plane ride to BEA and finished it there in the conference center, fingers gripping the cover tightly, while sitting on the floor in one of the many autograph lines. And now it's May again and BEA is right around the corner and I emerge from my recent and nasty reading slump stupor to find a copy of Linger sitting in my mailbox like a glove thrown down in the dirt. "I will be the one to pull you out," it whispers to me slyly. "Just open me up and take a sip. I promise--one sip is all it will take." And I look at it with fear and longing written all over my face. "You promise?" I ask  intently. "Because it's been a long walk in the cold and I'm not sure I can take another disappointment." "Just open me up," it says, confidence written all over its cover. And so I do. And everythin

Angie's 2024 Must Be Mine

  As ever, begin as you mean to go on. And so here are my most anticipated titles of 2024: And no covers on these yet, but I'm looking forward to them every bit as much: The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion, Vol. 8 by Beth Brower Long Live Evil by Sarah Rees Brennan Skybriar by Talia Hibbert Slow Dance by Rainbow Rowell Father Material by Alexis Hall The Duke at Hazard by K.J. Charles Hell's Belle's book four by Sarah MacLean What titles are on your list?

Interview with Diana Peterfreund + Rampant Giveaway!

Ever since I fell in love with Diana Peterfreund 's Secret Society Girl series last year, I've been hoping I'd get the chance to interview her here. Tomorrow marks the release of her new novel, Rampant , and let me tell you that you have not read a book like this before. You can read my review here , but all you really need to know is that it's a story about killer unicorns and the young women who hunt them. You want to read it now, don't you? Oh, yeah, and it's YA and the first in a series! To celebrate the release, Diana graciously answered a few of my most burning questions. As she is always a delight, I know you'll enjoy them as much as I did. First things first: When did the idea for Rampant first hit you and what (if anything) did you know right off the bat? In early 2005, just after selling Secret Society Girl , I had this dream of being chased by a very dangerous unicorn. I woke up and went to go look it up to see if I could figure out the meanin